Wednesday, February 17, 2010

NEW MOON: Chapter 6-Friends

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Bella spends time with Jacob...that's pretty much it.

NOTES/THOUGHTS/REACTIONS:
So Bella and Jacob work on the bikes. Or Jacob does and Bella watches because remember she is female and not supposed to have anything to do with this stuff. Yes, this is a sexist thing in this book because I know plenty of females who know about cars and can change a tire like no ones business (and without breaking a nail). So I'm sorry this whole scene bugs me. It especially bugs me later as Bella watches Jacob and his two friends Quil and Embry (both cute as well, notice there is a severe lack of normal/ugly people in Meyer's world, I'm just saying):
Many of the words they used were unfamiliar to me, and I figured I'd have to have a Y chromosome to really understand the excitement.
From New Moon, Chapter 6

See? How sexist can you get? Also, there should not be a comma after and because there is no pause in the thought/sentence. You were doing so well, Meyer. But anyway, Bella leaves (and is surprised that she actually enjoyed herself; I'm surprised too because from what she was thinking and what was happening I didn't get the sense she enjoyed herself but whatever), and then goes home. I have to admit, I enjoyed Jacob and his two friends banter. The three of them were fun and seem like they actually have personalities even if their hobby is a gross stereotype (all men like to fix cars, don't you know? Sigh).
So Bella gets home and cooks dinner and major Mary Sue points here (haven't had those in awhile) because she knows how to make fried chicken. I count this as Mary Sueness because I'm sorry what eighteen year old (who hasn't grown up in the south or had her mother teach her) would a) willingly make fried chicken, or b) even KNOW how to make fried chicken? It's utterly ridiculous that Bella knows all these difficult recipes that chefs have to explain to adults. But Meyer probably wanted Bella to be Super!Chef so she put this in without thinking that it is strange that a teenager knows how to make it when her mother probably didn't teach her and she is obviously not a Food Network holic. This is why you need to think about things Meyer.
Moving on, Bella makes dinner, talks to her dad (briefly) and then goes to bed, marvels that she didn't dream.
Then there is another day spent with Jacob and I have to say, Jacob is one of the few things I am enjoying about this book so far. He seems to have some sort of personality (not much, but more then Edward and definitely more then Bella) and he's just so adorable you want to squeeze him and if you're me, you want to tell him to stay far away from Bella. I kind of get the Team Jacob movement now. Were I actually a Twihard (which I obviously am not in any sense of the word) I would be Team Jacob but I would be Team Jacob Who Ditches Bella and No Longer Bothers With Her. There needs to be a t-shirt for that...
Where was I? Oh yeah, Jacob and his adorableness. He and Bella gather parts and chat. I have to roll my eyes again though because once again, Bella has a guy who likes her even though they've had one conversation, if that (this time it's Quil). God, I'm beginning to wonder if Bella has pheromones or something. That's the only possible explanation I have for practically every guy she meets or simply LOOKS at getting the hots for her.
More chatting and Bella watching Jacob fix up the bikes and then there's a wierd part where they are walking to the house and Bella gets hysterical for some reason, or close to hysterical. Seriously, what was up with this scene? She's suddenly afraid of the dark or something? I don't get it, but whatever it passes and there's a big dinner with Charlie, Billy, Harry, a new character that we're suddenly supposed to magically know what she looks like (Sue, his wife), and Harry's two children Seth and Leah. All those who have read the series know that Leah becomes a recurring character later on, and that is evident in that she's actually given a description (she's beautiful too of course) while the other two new characters are not.
But we don't see much of Leah because she's constantly on Billy's phone during the evening. Apparently NO one in this backwater town has a cell phone. Odd and very unlikely. One of the many instances were I simply don't get Meyers world. I mean, were cell phones not invented in this universe or something?
So evening ends, Bella is again surprised she enjoyed herself, and they go home. There is email from her Mom/Renee, that she responds too (vivid description of it here). But Bella again has another dream. That she vividly remembers.
Cut to morning and school. Bella starts talking and is miffed that Jessica doesn't automatically respond to her outreach. Now she has to make an actual EFFORT.
So Bella has decided to rejoin her friends and is surprised that no one immediately notices. She has random bitch moments when she talks about Lauren. I'm sorry but I'll believe Lauren is mean person when I actually see her being mean. Just because she doesn't happen to like Bella doesn't make her mean. I also think Lauren has good reason not to like her because um...she basically ignores everyone until it's convenient for HER. The comment about the short hair cut irks me. Let me guess, Bella, girls shouldn't have short hair it's just wrong? I'm sorry it's what it sounds like.
But anyway, Angela is talking and in what is yet ANOTHER foreshadow, there is talk of big bears in the woods. No one believes Angela and Bella actually does something nice and says other people have seen it too. Because you know, if other people have said they saw something in the woods, that automatically makes it so. Everyone is so super shocked that Bella has actually spoken though. Conversation ends and Angela and Bella talk and Bella realizes oh...it's been exactly a year since I've been here. Huh. Isn't that a coincidence? Yes, this is heavy sarcasm. Pointless chapter ends. I see we're back to these again.

WORDS A TEENAGER WOULD NEVER SAY: dithered
POSSIBLE EDITS: Many of the words they used were unfamiliar to me, and I figured I'd have to have a Y chromosome to really understand the excitement.-There shouldn't be a comma after and.
GENERAL ANNOYANCES: Girls can fix cars too.
How the heck does a teenager know how to make fried chicken?
I've noticed something: there are no fat people or people with glasses in this book. At least there weren't any in Twilight, and I'm betting there won't be any here. How does THAT happen?
Please note: I've given up on the dash count. There are just too many and counting them all was taking too long. Just know that she abuses them. A lot.
I'm stil trying to figure out how Renee can be a big flake and obviously a bad displinarian and yet she teaches elementary school kids.

1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely hilarious - I am so glad that I am reading this right now because I just finished New Moon - my review is on my blog. And it was pretty annoying

    ReplyDelete