Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Complete Thoughts on the Twilight "Saga" by Stephanie Meyer

Okay, so I have now officially read all the books (aside from that dumb Bree Tanner book that I've decided I'm not bothering with because it'll be just as pointless as Breaking Dawn) and you know what? My opinion hasn't changed. This is still a HORRIBLE series. Even if you lower your standards and look at it as a guilty pleasure book, it's horrible.
There literally is nothing redeemable about it. The writing is bad. The story is bad. The characters are bad. It's just...bad. Not to mention pointless, sexist (to both men AND women), anti-feminist, slightly racist, encourages shallowness, and basically seems to say "you are not complete without a man". Oh, it's also reeks of ignorance and classism (which for those that don't know, is when you look poorly on being lower class and favor being rich). It also has lazy writing, the author didn't do any research whatsoever, and also feels like the author actually thinks she's writing steller literature instead of a cheesy teen vampire novel.
Now, if you are a fan of this and just enjoy it as a cheesy vampire novel and don't actually think it's uber spectacular then great. I have no business with you. I myself enjoy many a book that is maybe not the greatest so carry on. My issue is with the people who honestly and truly think this book is like the best book ever and go around calling it amazing. No. Just...NO. This is not amazing by any stretch of the imagination.
The fact that this series has become so beloved and a world wide bestseller and called the next Harry Potter (I HATE that especially) astounds me. It really is proof that just because something sells well doesn't mean it's good. So there. It's a horrible horrible series and I'm glad I'm finally done with it. This blog is basically finished aside from the editing I'm going to do with previous posts (I've seen a few typos, sorry about that) and coming lists. The lists will be as follows:
One Hundred Reasons Why Twilight is a Horrible series-This is self explanatory and will compile all the reasons I found during my reading of the series.
Fifty Reasons Why Harry Potter is Better the Twilight-I HATE that people have had the nerve to imply Twilight is better then Harry Potter. This list will go into detail about why that simply isn't so.
Books That Have Gotten a Unfair Rep Due to Twilight-Like it or not, Twilight has had an effect on publishing. Particularly regarding book's reputations. Some books have been unfairly labled as Twilight rip-offs or as bad as by Twilight fans and anti's alike and I want to shed some light on these books because I do think this is an unfair thing, although I have been admittedly guilty of it myself (I'm sorry Mortal Instruments! Really, I am!).
After those, this blog will be done and left alone for anyone's enjoyment.

1 comment:

  1. "The next Harry Potter"???? "BETTER than Harry Potter???" Who the hell has the NERVE to say that?! Dear Lord!
    I know some people simply prefer a lame, obvious love story to one that dwells upon the classic "good vs. evil", and has actual character growth and a plot. I don't understand WHY, but I know it happens. Fine.
    But no one in the habit of reading REAL BOOKS could actually think the Twilight "saga" is better than the 7 HPs, please. Those people are morons... thank god I don't know anyone like that.
    Great job with the blog - can't wait for the lists!

    ReplyDelete