Monday, October 19, 2009

Book cover/Info/Preface

TWILIGHT'S BOOK COVER: I will actually admit, the book covers on these things are pretty. They are one of the few things the book does well. They catch your eye, stand out, and symbolism wise are pretty good too. Now, please keep in mind that I'm referring to the ORIGINAL book covers not the crappy redone covers with the movie characters on them staring emotionlessly at you. Those covers suck.

SUMMARY: I'll be honest the summary both intrigued me at first and turned me off at the same time. It is one of the main reasons I waited on the book. The summary on my paperback copy is thus:

About three things I was absolutely positive.
First, Edward was a vampire.
Second, there was a part of him-and I didn't know how dominant that part
might be-that thirsted for my blood.
And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

From Twilight, back cover

Then there are a lot of quotes from reviews and what not. Seriously, that's all we get. On one hand, it is kind of intriguing, on the other hand, you couldn't give more? Also, I found the summary a little overdramatic. I believe the first time I read it I rolled my eyes and that is part of why I've stayed away from the books for so long. Another reason is, I am not a big vampire fan. Don't get me wrong there can be some fun vampire books and series. I love Buffy to death and have a fondness for the Southern Vampire books by Charlene Harries (aka True Blood books to those who don't know the tv series is based on a long running book series). However a majority of the vamp books out there tend to be the same, highly cliche, and overly dramatic. This summary screamed overdramatic or melodrama to me which now that I think are kind of the same thing, aren't they? Okay, moving on.

There's a quote from Genesis in the beginning. Interesting and I guess now I have the idea that this is supposed to be a forbidden fruit, temptation kind of romance?
PREFACE:
The Preface is actually okay. A little cliche (many vampire/ya novel books do this so it's nothing new) but all right. I have a thing about this hephanating business though. What I mean is the begininng part:

I'd never given much thought to how I would die-though I'd had reason
enough in the last few months-but even if I had, I would not have imagined it
like this.

From Twilight, Page 1

I will admit, I am not an editer. I am not the foremost go to person on grammer. I make mistakes probably as much as the next person. But shouldn't those hephanating things be parentesis? Meaning these: ( ). Is there someone who knows better that could tell me for sure? I could actually be very wrong on this but I've always used parentesis in the situations like above. Oh well, it's a little thing, and like I said I could very well be wrong. So I'm not busting Meyer's chops on this one.
The rest of it is just okay. The preface is certainly nothing new. But it does actually kind of do a rather decent job of making you interested in the story. When I first read it, I made the mistake of thinking "Hm, might actually be a good story and not cliche."
So, overall her beginning was actually rather good at making you interested. At least that's one point in Meyers favor.

BOOK BETTER THAN TWILIGHT: The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray. Books in this trilogy are: A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, and A Sweet Far Thing.
WHY IT'S BETTER: Well, for starters the writing is good. She does good descriptions without going over board, the plot is not just one but several that are interconnected and all solved. She does not have perfect characters, in fact you may not even like the main character all that much in the beginning. But it is a great premise and though the ending isn't necessarily happy, it is hopeful and sends good messages about rebuilding your life after many bad things happen to you. There's also character developement and I gaurantee you have not read a series quite like this before.

No comments:

Post a Comment