Thursday, March 18, 2010

NEW MOON: Chapter 12-Intruder

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Basically, Bella finally gets hit by the clue bus. The goodness of the previous chapter wears off again. Sigh.

NOTES/THOUGHTS/REACTIONS:
We left off in the last chapter with someone at Bella's window. She is immediately concerned that it's Victoria come to kill her and just stands there (which seems to be her automatic conclusion to any danger coming her way, I'm just saying) and it turns out to be Jacob coming to apologize. I do admit, the part with him clinging to the tree and it dipping due to his weight is kind of funny. Then there is a brief part where Bella is possessed by someone who actually stands up for herself:
"Get out!" I hissed, putting as much venom into the whisper as I could.
From New Moon, Chapter 12

My reaction to this was: YAY! Bella is finally not going to take it anymore! She's standing up for herself and realizing she doesn't need another jerk of a guy around! Sadly, that did not last:
I looked up at him, the tears not yet dried on my cheeks. "Why would I be okay, Jacob?"
From New Moon, Chapter 12

Sigh. Why can't Bella have a strong moment for herself that lasts more then one damn paragraph? Is that too much to ask? To have a strong female lead? I don't think so, last I checked this was the twenty first century. Though the way Meyer writes women this book, you would think the whole equal rights/feminist movement had never happened.
Honestly, not a lot goes on in this chapter. Jake apologizes for being an ass, Bella excepts and doesn't understand why he can't tell her what's going on, and then Jacob points out what I said in the last chapter: Bella is pretty dumb for not figuring it out already.
Jacob tries to lead her to the answer and because Meyer once more assumes her readers are dumb and have no memories, she not only recaps what happened when Bella and Jacob meant, she inserts a whole scene from Twilight itself. Meyer, give your readers some credit please.
Then because apparently that wasn't enough to jog Bella's memory (seriously, dumbest heroine EVER) she has to have a vivid dream about it too. So basically this chapter is a lot of Jacob apologizing and much recaping of one chapter in Twilight and Bella finally going: they're WEREWOLVES! To which I say: DUH BELLA!
Even dumber is that this rocks her world. I'm sorry but if you've figured out that vampires exist wouldn't your mind kind of go "hmm...I wonder if werewolves and all those other creatures of the knight exist too?" I mean really, it's not the huge stretch that this girl is complaining about. Because of course she complains about it. Because you know falling for a vampire and a werewolf as well just makes her a freak.
So Bella processes this and talks to Charlie the next morning and discovers that now people have decided that the wolves are too dangerous and are going to hunt them down and shoot them. Seems rather sudden for people to decide but whatever. Bella is now convinced that some of the werewolves are bloodthirsty killers and is now worried: what is she going to do now?

WORD LIST: none, good job Meyer!
POSSIBLE EDITS: No need for the italics on words when Bella is angry. Bad stylization.
GENERAL ANNOYANCES: We do not need like three/four recaps of one chapter in Twilight. Really, that's overdoing it just a bit.

I know this is short but there really wasn't much stuff going on besides usual bad dialogue. That said, New Moon is coming out on DVD on Saturday. I have to work and the place I work at sells the dvds. I'm sure you can imagine how thrilled I'm going to be on Saturday ;) So question: to rent New Moon to snark at or not to rent New Moon to snark at? That is the question (or to borrow a coworkers bootleg copy to save the money?)

No comments:

Post a Comment