Tuesday, March 23, 2010

NEW MOON DVD special

To take a minute away from the book (will be getting back to it later today) I have rented and watched the New Moon dvd. Is it just me or did they up the melodrama?
I will give them this: they followed the book. Actually, I think they improved on the book because they cut out all the pointless scenes (meaning half the book) and actually showed the action so it wasn't completely boring like the book is. But still, major melodrama going on. It doesn't help that pretty much everyone has the same damn expression on thier face throughout the thing so I can't decide if this can even be counted as acting (yes, Kristin Stewert I'm looking at YOU; but in your defense Bella doesn't exactly go through much emotion besides whine, bitch, and cry in this so you actually probably did a good job it's just that your character sucks). I think the only ones who showed any kind of facial expressions were Bella's human "friends" (how cute were Ben and Angie in this? They're like the cutest nerd couple ever) and Jacob.
But there actually were some good things in this. Here are the good:
1) Music-soundtrack is beautiful and rock songs matched to the scene really well.
2) Bella's wardrobe. I was mildly disturbed that I would actually wear some of the things she had on (that peasant top she had on in the movies for instance). I would totally steal all of Alice's cloths which were much better. Sorry, I'm in Project Runway mode right now. Ignore my fashion obsession.
3) Shirtless guys. Apparently much of the men were allergic to shirts in this movie and in some cases (particularly in Taylor Laughtner's case) this was a good thing and kind of made drudging through the movie worth it. ;drools over wolf pack;
4) Cinematography. Gorgeous shots I will give the director and the crew props on that. They managed to make this film artsy and it totally fits in with how you picture the book. So kudos guys, now please go work on a DECENT movie turned book (may I put my vote in that you guys do Graceling? PLEASE? Oh, or Mortals Instruments!).
5) Voltari-Michael Sheen and Dakota Fanning=vampires who are actually VAMPIRES. Thank you! Plus they're just awesome themselves (I've had this wierd thing for Michael Sheen ever since I saw him in The Queen which by the way is way better then this movie).
That is pretty much all that is good about this film. The acting...well there isn't really much acting going on. The actors try I'll give them that but as established in this blog they have sucky source material so they really can't do much but I did find the chemistry between them way more belieavable then I did in the book which is...kind of sad. It also is, I'm sorry, very BORING. Seriously, this movie has vampires and werewolves, you would think that would be EXCITING. But it manages to be slow, predictable, and even more cheesy then regular vampire and werewolf movies (yes, I'm serious).
So while the actors/actresses and crew did try their darnest with what they had...what they had sucked to begin with so it didn't really work. Twilight fans however are probably mucho pleased with it because as I've said, it follows the book. So it's great for the fans...not so great for everyone else but everyone else doesn't really matter in this particular case as like me, they're just going to rent this movie and not spend any more money then two dollars (dollar rental machines rock, need to be more of them).

No comments:

Post a Comment