Thursday, November 26, 2009

TWILIGHT: Chapter 10-Interregations

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Pointless conversations between Bella and Edward, Bella and Jessica, and then back to Bella and Edward. Where is the suspense in this book again?

NOTES/THOUGHTS/REACTIONS:
We open to Bella once more asking if what happened with Edward was a dream. Does someone need to explain reality to this girl? I get it, Edward is dreamy, you don't have to hit us over the head with the concept Meyer. I also have to snort at this bit because it says what I've been saying about this book since the first few chapters:
Logic wasn't on my side, or common sense.
From Twilight, page 196

I wholeheartedly agree with you Bella because there is very little logic and common sense in this book.
We get more useless description of Bella's daily activities (she had a granola bar for breakfast if you're dying to know) and oh look, Edward shows up to drive her to school. We get this as she sees him:
My heart thudded, stuttered, and then picked up again in double time.
From Twilight, page 197

So her heart thumped loudly, thumped loudly, and then thumped loudly again? Because that is basically all that is being described here. So many words used to describe one teeny tiny action. Can we say pointless? If you're going to use wordy description, at least use it to describe scenery or something, not for 'my heart rate increased'.
Then we get more flowery descriptions of Edward because you know, we need to be told once more that he is hot and perfect. Just in case we didn't get it the first million times Bella told us. Bella asks where the rest of the Cullens are and he says they took Roselie's car. Apparently Meyer is even going to stereotype cars now, because Roselie's flashy convertable is deemed ostentatious. Then we get Edward saying he and his family try to blend in. Yeah. Another instance where I agree with Bella, they DON'T succeed. Not because of the flashy cars. Lots of humans have flashy cars and flashy cars do not automatically equal vampire. But they drive one hundred miles per hour, don't deem themselves to talk to the locals, and pretty much do things that hold them apart from the rest of the town. Doesn't really scream 'trying to blend in' to me.
Anyway, they get to school where Jessica is waiting to pounce on Bella. This is of course very annoying to her.
WHINE: My friend actually wants to ask me questions! Why must she bother me?
Yes, poor Bella, she has curious friends who are interested in her life. Such a nuisance, no? I also love how once again Bella assumes people are staring at her and Edward. Could this girl be any more vain? People have lives beyond you and Edward, Bella, chances are they don't care. We get more reports about Bella's daily life. As well as a weather update because you know, we need to know the weather didn't change. Then Jessica is waiting for her in Trig:
Jessica was sitting in the back row, nearly bounching off her seat in
agitation.

From Twilight, page 202

For fun here's a definition of agitation (or agitate in this case) from Webster: 1) To move with sudden force or violence, 2) To upset emotionally, and 3) To try and stir up public interest in a cause. Jessica is clearly doing none of these things so why is the word agitation even here? Anxiousness or excitement would have been better words here. This brings me to the tenth reason of why I dislike Twilight.
REASON TEN FOR DISLIKING TWILIGHT: Too many theosaurus words and often they are used wrongly such as in this case. I have no problem with authors who try to be creative in their wording but if you're going to do it (particularly in first person) have it make sense damn it! Because words used wrongly will only serve to confuse the reader, such as here. Also if a reader has to look up words just to get what is going on, that's a bad sign. They are supposed to be concentrating on your story, not scratching their heads at a word and trying to figure out what exactly is being said.
Well, moving on, Bella and Jessica are made into the stereotype of teenage girls. They analyze everything that was said on the date. Bella bad mouth's the waitress (petty much, Bella?) and Jessica draws the conclusion that if Edward ignored such a pretty girl then he MUST like Bella. First, sexist point for this whole conversation because it makes it seem like this is all we girls really talk about. I am a girl and though it's been awhile since I've been a teen, I can tell you, this is not the case.
Second, just because a guy ignores a pretty girl throwing herself at him does not automatically mean he likes the girl he's with or anyone else for that matter. It could be that he was raised to be a gentleman, the girl isn't his type, or that he doesn't approve of that type of behavior. Or that he's gay. But no, apparently in this book men are horny and the only reason they could possibly ignore a girl is if they like another girl already and are trying to make a good impression. This book is not only sexist against women, it's sexist against men too. Because if I was a man reading that, I'd be pretty offended. Further in the conversation we get this:
"Oh well. He is unbelievably gorgeous." Jessica shrugged as if this excused
any flaws. Which, in her book, it probably did.
From Twilight, page 204

God, hypocrite much Bella? Haven't you been going on and on about Edward's looks and have basically thought of him as perfect this whole time, ignoring the stalking, the condescending tones, etc? You also have not even really bothered finding out anything else beyond his vampire thing. You don't know his likes and dislikes, or anything like that which is why, you can't describe his personality to Jessica. You don't know him yet. Also, he never said he wanted to be good. He just said he didn't want to kill. Not wanting to kill isn't the same as going around in a cape like Superman which is how you're describing it.
If the hypocrisy wasn't bad enough, the conversation then turns into "so you like him?", "Yes.", "Do you REALLY like him?" I mean my God, are these seventeen year old girls or pre-teens? Though that's probably not fair to pre-teens because I know some who are actually a lot more mature then Bella-Sue. But honestly, this bit made me wonder. Bella then quickly turns the conversation to Jessica and Mike. Not because she actually cares about them, mind you. No. She just doesn't want to be bothered with questions anymore. Lovely friend, huh?
Bella goes to meet Edward for lunch and once again, she assumes people have no lives and are staring at her and Edward. I have no idea why Edward is getting her lunch for her. I'm sure Meyer thought this would be a romantic gesture but to me it just screams controlling boyfriend.
More awkward small talk between our supposed soul mates. If these two are so destined for each other, why is it I cringe whenever I read a conversation between them? Part of it is, I know, the cheesy dialogue Meyer uses. But mostly because again, it just all feels so awkward.
Well, it gets more cheesy because Bella starts to go emo (again) and goes "Look at me, I'm so ugly." To which Edward goes, no, no, you're beautiful! All the males in this school drool over you!
BLAH. First, this is Mary-Sue all over the place. All the males wanted her on her first day? Even the teachers? Yeah, Mary-Sue. That's not even going into how illogical it is to have all the males panting over one supposed plain looking girl. No gay people in this school? No males who didn't meet her? Or I don't know, in love with other girls already? Please.
Arguing about Bella's looks again, we then get another gag-worthy conversation that is pretty much pointless so I won't go into it but I am confused about this part:
I made a face at the memory. "You know, I haven't forgiven you for the
Tyler thing yet," I warned him. "It's your fault that he's deluded himself into
thinking I'm going to prom with him."
From Twilight, page 212

Eh? Did I miss something? Did Edward suggest the prom thing to Tyler or something? Because I was under the impression Tyler came up with this on his own. Also, again, it's Bella's own fault for not taking him aside and saying she's not going with him. But still, where was it that Edward was responsible for this? Did I miss it when I was banging my head at Bella's stupidity?
Well, if I did, whatever. More pointless conversation after this that kind of actually turns interesting because it talks about Edward, Emmet, and Jasper going bear hunting. I find it ironic that considering she's a vegetarian, Meyer has no problem killing off protected wildlife in this book. But anyway, just when it gets interesting, chapter ends because lunch is over. Have I mentioned that Meyer sucks at ending chapters?

WORDS A TEENAGER WOULD NEVER SAY/ARE USED WRONG/DO NOT BELONG: ostentacious, agitation (used wrongly)
WHINE COUNT: only one
MARY-SUE/GARY-STUISMS: Bella-All the boys in the school were thinking dirty thoughts about me. Even ones I'd never met and my teachers!

BOOK THAT IS BETTER: Tithe by Holly Black
WHY IT'S BETTER: If you're going to be creative with your words, THIS is how you do it. Black's writing can be flowery but it's still solid writing. Just be warned, that this is NOT Twilight. It actually is as far from Twilight as you can get. There are fairies but these are gruesome fairies, not tinkerbell kind of fairies. There's also stuff like cussing, smoking, a gay guy, etc. It is still awesome, but if you don't like dark gritty stories then you might not like it. I also reccomend Spiderwick Chronicles if you still want to look into the author. It's less darker being that the book is for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment