Thursday, November 19, 2009

TWILIGHT: Chapter 9-Theory

Chapter Summary: Bella questions Edward some more. Entire chapter is one boring conversation. Much like how this entire book is one boring conversation after conversation.

NOTES/THOUGHTS/REACTIONS:
This is another chapter that starts where the last one left off. Only where in other books, they leave off at cliff hangers, this book does it in breaks in coversation. Someone really needs to teach Meyer about suspense and how to use it properly. Going from one conversation to the next is not suspense. Well, Bella begs Edward for one question and the important one she comes up with is how he found her even though I thought that was already answered in the last chapter but apparently I was wrong.
Here is where Meyer's logic starts to REALLY deterioate. I could be able to overlook some parts of this but then the logic just starts to fail so bad that you just have to shake your head at it. Edward said he followed her scent. Um, excuse me but since when did vampires have a keen sense of smell? Werewolves, I could understand but vamps? Beyond smelling blood, they shouldn't be able to do this. Meyer would realize this if she had done some damn research.
Then Bella starts to ask about the "mind-reading thing" and feels silly about talking about it. Get over it, honey. It'll save you a lot of grief in the future. Then Edward confirms that he can hear people's thoughts.
Now, vampires have been known to have some sort of mind control so I could have let this go but apparently Edward is the only vamp able to do this. Which makes him even more Gary-Stu, he's special even among the vampires ;rolls eyes;. Then it's revealed that he can't hear Bella. Edward says that maybe her mind is different from others. Yeah, another attempt by Meyer to make Bella seem super special. Bella of course, goes all emo at this:
"My mind doesn't work right? I'm a freak?"The words bothered me more then
they should-probably because his speculation hit home. I'd always suspected as
much and it embarrassed me to have it confirmed.

From Twilight, page 181

First, that slash should be a comma. Is it me, or does Meyer overuse those things? Second, Edward never said your mind doesn't work right or implied you were a freak you stupid girl. You just drew that conclusion yourself. Also, since when were you so worried that you were a freak? You've thought it maybe once in this entire book. Third, having him not read your thoughts is a GOOD thing. You have your privacy. I would personally be very relieved that stalker boy couldn't read my thoughts.
Then Bella suddenly notices out of the blue that Edward is going one hundred miles per hour. Um, I'm sorry it took her this long to notice? Trust me, you KNOW when a car is going one hundred miles per hour because you can feel it. Another logic fail for Meyer. I won't even bother going over the stupid holy crow expression. I think it's great that you don't want to have cussing in these books and everything Meyer, but seriously, holy crow?
Edward pretty much laughs off her worry which personally pissed me off. She had every right to be freaked out. Unlike immortal Edward, she can't walk away from a collision. So him laughing at her made him out to be more then a little of a jerk. But Meyer tries to make it out like he's cool and suave and in control. He can read minds remember? So he can keep track of where the police are and has never had an accident or a ticket. Which somehow excuses endangering others lives. So he's using his head detecting police when he should...I don't know, be contrating on the road like a responsible driver would? The fact that he's never had an accident before is kind of a miracle. Also, it never occured to Meyer as she wrote this that teen drivers are reading this? That they might get the idea that if they speed they won't get caught either? Oh wait, I forgot, she doesn't think when she writes. It shows.
Bella gives the excuse that she was raised to obey traffic laws (never mind that it's obvious Charlie had no hand in raising her so this is a flimsy excuse at best) and Edward slows down to eighty and grumbles about going slow. Eighty is still speeding Meyer. Or do you not know that most interstate highway speed limits are 65? Even if you follow the ten mile over rule, eighty is still speeding.
Well, while I'm seething over Meyer condoning speeding on a highway, lets move on Bella brings up her trip to the beach and what Jacob told her. She tries to gloss over the flirting but fails and Edward laughs at the image. Classy, Edward. Real classy. Why is he perfect boyfriend material again?
When she gets confirmation, she starts to quiz him on vampire dos and don'ts. Which is where we learn what the difference with Meyers vampirers are. We learn one of her special things is that vampires don't sleep. I still think this is kind of stupid (all creatures sleep at some point, we need it) but it does explain the bags under the eyes that these guys supposingly have (but is never mentioned again except once I notice) so I'll let it go.
Then Edward of course says he's dangerous (he is a stereotype remember, we need to be reminded of this) and that being with Bella is a mistake. This thought works poor Bella to tears. God this girl is PATHETIC. Seriously, did feminism even HAPPEN in Meyer's world? Most of the girls I know today would have looked him and glared for this, or demanded to know why he was stalking her then, or something. Anything other then being driven to tears over one insensitive remark. Grow a freaking backbone Bella.
The conversation then does a total 180 and Bella is somehow chatizing Edward for making her worry. I'm sorry but this part had no place in this chapter and at this point in their relationship. These too barely know each other and owe nothing to each other and therefore there is no reason for him and Bella to be talking like an old married couple or for Bella to act like an upset girlfriend/fiance whatever. Now, later in the book, after they've established a relationship...maybe. But here it makes no sense and seems really out of place. Once again, please think when you're writing Meyer. Contrary to what you believe, it does help.
Nonsense conversation then devolves into corny lines that basically go like this:
Edward-I'm a dangerous bad boy! You must fear me and stay away!
Bella-No! I refuse to believe that! You're too cute to be dangerous! ;goes to cry more;
UGH. Stuff like this is why this series makes me gag and I normally like romance stories. Then out of the blue, he asks her what she was thinking back when those guys almost attacked her and gets angry when she says she was thinking about how to defend herself. Yes, how dare a girl try and defend herself, Edward. I'm giving Meyer another sexist point for this. Maybe I should keep track of these as well...
They get home (awfully quick in my opinion, but whatever) and we get pointless fluff. Bella gets to keep Edward's jacket (god, what is this the sixties?) because apparently she only has one jacket. Um...this girl lives in Washington State. I was under the impression this area was rather cold at times and extremely rainy so why would she only have one jacket? Heck, most teenagers I know have at least three or four to switch around depending on their mood, the weather, and what their outfit is. So her having one jacket is stupid and a pointless plot device used for fluff. This chapter FINALLY ends with her talking to Charlie and going up to her room where she decides that she is in love with Edward.
This brings me to reason nine of why I dislike this series.
REASON NINE: They fall in love WAY too quickly and WAY too easily.
To those who try and classify Twilight as a vampire book I laugh at you. It is a romance book, pure and simple. A romance book that happens to have creatures similar to vampires because vampire books sell. Now, there is nothing wrong with this. I myself enjoy a good romantic romp and am a self-proclaimed hopeless romantic (but one who is practical). So that said, you would think I would love Twilight.
Well, I hate it and this is one of the main reasons why. The romance is shallow. The author takes no time to build it, or give it depth. Edward and Bella get together halfway through the first book for crying out loud. There is no good reasons we are given as to why these two are in love. We are just told they are in love and expected to buy it. They don't have to work for this love either. No questioning as to the others feelings (except for like one chapter), no obstacles in them getting together (except their own moronic selves and they overcome them pretty quickly) and heck. We don't even see them date like normal couples do. If you're going to do romance at least make it interesting and believable. What Meyer has here? Not believable and very boring.

WORDS A TEENAGER WOULD NEVER SAY/DON'T BELONG WHERE THEY'RE USED: modulate
MARY-SUE/GARY-STUISMS: Edward-I read minds; I'm the only vamp that can! Aren't I cool?
Bella-My mind is so special, Edward can't read it.
MEYER CONTRIDICTION: Bella says Charlie raised her to obey traffic laws. He never raised her though and she doesn't really listen to him anyway so this is obviously false.

BOOKS THAT ARE BETTER: Anything by Jane Austen
WHY IT IS BETTER: THIS is what romance writing should be. These are also the classic romance stories and arguably some of the best novels written in the english language.

No comments:

Post a Comment