Friday, October 1, 2010

BREAKING DAWN: Chapter 10-Why Didn't I Just Walk Away? Oh Right, Because I'm An Idiot.

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Another boring chapter where Jacob tries to talk sense into Bella (it doesn't work) and then he meets the pack and the pack decides to attack the Cullens because apparently a BABY is pure evil and must be killed.

REACTIONS/THOUGHTS/NOTES:
First part of this super angsty chapter is mostly Jacob thinking. While I am enjoying Jacob's point of view ten times more then Bella's (not hard), I still find this book utterly ridiculous. In fact, Meyer has Jacob describe the shenanigans going on perfectly:
Like I was in some Goth version of a bad sitcom.
From Breaking Dawn, Chapter 10

Wow. Even the author is admitting this is all ridiculous (though she probably doesn't realizing she's point it out, she probably thinks she's making a clever joke). As Jacob's thoughts advance, he also describes Bella perfectly too:
The girl was a classic martyr. She'd totally been born in the wrong century.
From Breaking Dawn, Chapter 10

See? SEE? I'm not just imagining this. I'd be thrilled about this except NO ONE DOES ANYTHING ABOUT THIS. Being a Martyr in the Twilight world is practically a GOOD thing in this warped universe Meyer has created. Also, I don't think Bella was born in the wrong century because she's a martyr. I think she was born in the wrong century due to her prehistoric attitudes/views on how women should be, her sexist/anti-feminist point of view, and many other things.
The Cullens leave Bella and Jacob alone to talk and there's more painful awkward dialogue. But Meyer tries to lighten things up by bad jokes. There's actually a Simpsons reference (and reference to technology!) made by Bella who doesn't strike me as the type to sit down and watch the Simpsons (I mean this girl doesn't read books written after the eighteen hundreds, yet she's not snooty enough to watch The Simpsons which, lets face it, is a pretty dumb show). But as all things in Twilight do, the quick bouts of humor fades away to buckets of angst.
Jacob tries to tell Bella she's being dumb about this. Bella for some reason brings up imprinting like she actually knows anything about how Jacob will feel when it happens (and it's an obvious unsubtle foreshadow AGAIN) and naturally that ticks Jacob off. More angst follows. We learn that Bella plans to survive by becoming a vampire after the birth of the demon spawn-opps, I mean baby. During Bella's speech there's many Christian/Mormon propaganda going. I caught it and I haven't been to a church service since I was like nine, THAT'S how unsubtle this all is.
Now during angsty talk, Jacob tells Bella about Edwards messed up plan and instead of being disgusted by it like every female in their right mind would be, she practically goes "oh, what a silly man. I can't believe how much he loves me, willing to do something like that" and then nothing more. Hell, she's practically more awed by Edward then she already was.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT. THE. HELL??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing more? No anger over the fact that Edward practically pimped Bella out to Jacob (who agreed) without her permission? After the last two chapters I don't know why I'm so surprised about this but I am. I am also further disgusted with this series and I didn't think my opinion could sink any lower after the last chapter. Congratulations Meyer, you proved me wrong.
In other words, all this angsty talk with Bella accomplishes nothing. She still plans on having the baby and then Jacob goes to leave and face his pack. They learn about Bella's pregnancy through his thoughts and are disgusted by it (why, I have no clue, considering they're the ones who imprint on people with no choice on the matter but whatever right?). So now Sam and the pack are all for attacking the Cullens and now Jacob is upset by this (as well as Seth for some reason). There is further demonization of Leah and Jacob goes to attack her and is stopped by the pack.
But does Sam reprimend Jacob for attacking one of his own? No. He chastises Leah, nothing is said to Jacob on the matter. But because Leah is the resident bitch, we have to be mean to her even though she technically was only speaking the truth.
Jacob is now suddenly very reluctant to attack the Cullens and I'm confused. A chapter ago HE WAS PLANNING ON DOING THE SAME THING yet now all of a sudden he's, no this is wrong!
But Meyer needed Jacob to be the good guy in this so instead of actually going through a crazy little thing called character developement, she has him suddenly change his entire way of thinking on the situation with now explanation for why. Sloppy writing as usual.
The chapter ends with Sam forcing Jacob to follow his orders to attack the Cullens in the morning. Let me guess: Jacob and Seth not only find away to stop it, Jacob eventually challenges Sam and becomes Leader of the pack. The way Meyer writes, this is totally what's going to happen, or something along these lines. She doesn't exactly think outside the box, you know?

WORD LIST: sallow
GENERAL ANNOYANCES: whole freaking book is absurd

No comments:

Post a Comment