Thursday, December 3, 2009

TWILIGHT: Chapter 12-Balancing

CHAPTER SUMMARY: More pointlessness as Billy does not talk to Charlie, Bella and Edward make plans and walk to a meadow. The end. I'm still trying to find the excitement.

NOTES/THOUGHTS/REACTIONS:
Another chapter that starts where the other left off anti-climatically. Billy and Charlie have a buddy moment and I have to say, I find the friendship between these two interesting. I mean it's kind of curious how a chief of police and a indian reservation elder/member whoever became friends. I want to know how they became friends. I'm assuming the bond started over fishing, but really I'm more curious about this relationship then I am about Bella and Edward. That's...kind of sad considering this book is supposed to be about them and they are the ones that Meyer should make interesting. But nope, I find myself more interested in a friendship that isn't even the main part of the story.
Billy and Charlie make plans to watch a game (cause you know, that's all men watch on tv; they aren't interested in things like movies and what not) and then Billy adds that Jacob wanted to see Bella again. Bella of course immediately goes "oh no, I came on too strong at the beach and now I have another suitor; damn my female charm". Well gee, what did you expect Bella? If you had just asked him like a normal person you wouldn't have this problem. Of course, since it IS Meyer and Bella is a Mary Sue, Jacob probably would have fallen for her even if she had just asked.
Like a good little female, Bella offers to make food for the boys and her father agrees. Another slightly subtle sexist moment for those still keeping track and so Bella goes to make grilled cheese sandwiches and Jacob helps by watching. I totally don't get these lines:
"So, how are things?" Jacob asked.
"Pretty good." I smiled. His enthusiasm was hard to resist.
From Twilight, page 237

Eh? What enthusiasm? All he did was ask how you were! Normal people ask that, Bella. It's called being polite. But considering Bella is never enthusiastic about anything beyond Edward's looks, I don't know why I'm surprised at this over-statement.
Jacob admires Edward's volvo (to which I laugh, because I've never heard of any guy admiring a VOLVO, no matter how expensive it is) and Bella worries about Charlie finding out about Edward. If she's so freaking worried about it, she should tell him herself and save the hassle. Oh wait, I keep forgetting, that's logic. The game ends and we get this:
"Are you and your friends coming back to the beach soon?" Jacob asked as he
pushed his father over the lip of the threshold.
"I'm not sure," I hedged.
From Twilight, page 239

First, here is an edit: there should be a comma after Jacob asked because there is a pause there. Second, since when do thresholds have lips? I'm assuming Meyer was talking about a door wedge of some kind. But either way it makes no sense. She should have just said Jacob pushed his father through the front door. Third: I hedged?! Are you kidding me with this? Definition from Webster for the word hedged: 1) To bound or fencd with or as if with a hedge. 2) To hinder or encumber, 3) To limit financial risk by a counterbalancing transaction. Now to be fair for the word hedge, we do have this: A deliberately ambiguous statement. However, that is for hedge, not hedged, so it looks wrong anyway. I'm also pretty sure this word is not intended for dialogue because it just doesn't plain look right. Meyer should have just said, I shrugged and gotten it over with. To quote Maes Van der Rohe: less is more.
Bella starts to leave but her father stops her causing her to cringe and automatically worry that Billy said something. He just asks how her day was and this causes more awkward talk about boys. Charlie says he was planning on fishing and Bella encourages him and we get this:
"I've never minded being alone-I'm too much like you."
From Twilight, page 241

Um...gee, did that sound like a thinly-veiled insult or was that just me? If I were Charlie I would be mildly insulted because he never asked to be alone. His wife left him, remember Bella? Also, how does she know he doesn't mind it? Has he said? I swear, the more I read this, the more Bella comes off as a self-absorbed bitch.
Cut to next morning and Bella is skipping down the stairs. Never mind that you cannot do such a thing and the fact that I thought Bella was clumsy? If she were clumsy, she would never attempt to do this.
Edward is once more driving her. Once more with Bella not using that car that her father bought for her. We get more of Bella's gushing over how perfect he is and we get more of Edward asking questions. He also expresses surprise that his Mary Sue has not had a boyfriend and once more, unintentionally pointint out the whole ridiculousness of all those boys liking her. Then Edward drops a bomb: he's leaving with Alice after lunch and it really does make me wonder as well. Why did he drive her? He could have just let her drive her truck and asked the questions from the passenger seat and then driven with Alice. But no, that would require logic, I keep forgetting that has no place in this story.
So he talks Bella into letting a complete stranger drive her car and leaving the key in the ignition. Girls (and boys) NEVER DO THIS. I don't care HOW small your town is. NEVER LEAVE THE KEY IN THE IGNITION. That's like yelling at someone: come and steal me. Small towns have crooks too you know. Also, you should never let someone you don't know drive your car. Because they are not covered on your insurance. If they get your car into an accident, chances are, your insurance company won't pay for it. Not only does logic have no place in this story, neither does common sense.
Edward says he's going hunting and there is more awkward small talk. I have to comment on this:
His brow puckered for a brief moment.
From Twilight, page 244

That sound was my head hitting my desk. Eyebrows do not pucker. Lips pucker. Eyebrows do not. Wrong word use again, Meyer. Anyway, they get to school and Bella notices Roselie. She turns to glare at her and that of course immediately means that Roselie is a bitch simply because she doesn't like Bella. Edward apologizes for Roselie even though her worries are a valid point. Edward being around Bella could be putting the Cullen family at risk. So, it's more then a little selfish for him to still be spending time with her. Then we get Alice, another one of the few things I like about this book. However, I do get tired of how Bella focuses on how pretty and graceful and perfect she is. I don't care about that. I like Alice because unlike Bella, she actually has some spunk and doesn't let the men walk all over her.
Edward is already leaving and it says something that I missed that they were having lunch all ready. Bad use of transition Meyer. We get moronic good-byes. I mean good lord, they act like they're parting forever. They are going to see each other the next day!
More scenes with clutzy Bella in gym (I'm growing mighty fond of these again, it's the only time I actually like her character). Bella doesn't concentrate on school of course, even though she is supposed to be smart and care about it, she thinks about (what else) her and Edward. We get more sulky Mike and he suggests what I brought up in chapter seven. That she just go with the group. But Bella seems to think Jessica would have a problem with it if she danced with boys as friends and so declines. She doesn't have to dance, you know. I myself pretty much just hung out at the table and only joined in on the group dances like electric slide (hey, don't laugh, everyone has to dance to this at least once in their lives). But no, Bella just can't do that, that would NORMAL.
Bella gets over-impressed on the fact that Edward kept his promise about the truck and we get a corny note from him about being safe. For god sakes, what trouble could she get into driving home? Where I Bella, I would be very offended by the implication that I basically cannot take care of myself. She of course, thinks it's sweet. More pointless information and then Bella is having dinner with Charlie all of a sudden. They have yet another awkward conversation about boys/the dance and I have to wonder. Since when did fathers and daughters talk this much about boys? You know, other then to tease them or grill the boyfriends.
Bella then does the laundry and more thinking and notes how her life has really become about Edward. But instead of being worried about this like a NORMAL person would/and should be, she's more worried about how it would hurt if it ended badly. They haven't even started an actual relationship and she's worried about the fallout if they have a relationship. A therepist would have a field day with this girl.
We then get a pointless scene where she takes pills to fall asleep. WHAT. THE. HELL. I'm hoping by pills, she meant sleeping pills, but I don't think so. You do not put this in a book meant for teenage girls! Does Meyer not know there are teens out there who overdose on drugs and die from it? Now, if this book were a cautionary tale about the practice, that would be another matter. But it's not. It's a romance and quite frankly shows how ignorant Meyer is. If she had actually THOUGHT about this, she probably never would have put it in. Never mind that this whole scene was never needed to begin with, because like half of this book it is POINTLESS.
More pointless description of Bella's daily activity when she wakes up and then we get more overdramatic scenes with Edward that make me want to yak. More pointless dialogue as they drive to wherever it is they are going, I really can't bring myself to care but for the sake of this blog I am continuing. The things I do to make a point.
Edward gets mad when he learns that no one knows Bella is going with him and I honestly think he's right. It's stupid not to let people know where you are. They get to a trail of some sort and we get more pointless description of him as it's once more hammered into our heads that he's beautiful and perfect. They hike and we get description of trail along with how perfect Edward is, and how exciting being with him is for Bella. I am still trying not to throw up.
Finally they get to a meadow that is lovingly described and Edward steps into the sun and the chapter ends. I'm sorry, why was this chapter called balancing exactly? I don't see any balancing going on anywhere. There's no issues with Bella trying to spend time with Edward and her friends or family so what the heck?

WORDS A TEENAGER WOULD NEVER USE/DON'T BELONG/USED WRONG: hedged (wrong use), puckered (wrong use).

BOOK THAT IS BETTER: The Sookie Stockhouse series by Charlaine Harris.
WHY IT IS BETTER: THIS is how you write a romance series. I believe the chemistry between Sookie and Bill and neither are perfect and they also actually have conflict in their relationship. Sookie does not let Bill walk all over her (and he admitedly does try) and doesn't fool herself into thinking he's perfect, or that she is, or that they are soul mates or whatever. There is also a lot more going on then just their romance. Oh, and Meyer? THESE are vampires. Not whatever the hell the Cullens are.

No comments:

Post a Comment