Wednesday, January 6, 2010

NEW MOON-Cover and Preface

Okay, so we have gone on to the second book. I never thought I'd actually bother with the rest of the series but I keep on getting told by Twihards: oh but the first book is the worst in the series, it's gets better, honest! Considering what I've heard happens, I highly doubt it (and considering these are the same ones who reccomended this crap to me in the first place...) but I have this thing about finishing up book series so here I am. I mostly started this blog in the first place to motivate me to finish it.
So, anyway. As I said in the last post, I am using the Kindle version of New Moon. Therefore, there will not be page numbers anymore since the kindle versions and book versions differ on pages. Just know it's in the chapter and I'll let you have the fun of finding it. With that said, lets move on to the book cover and the preface.

BOOK COVER:
Well, like Twilight, the book cover is pretty. It's black with a pink blooming flower on it. Kudos to the cover artist and publisher on that since it's a fact that publishers/editors are usually responsible for covers of books. Meyer probably did get to give her approval, but you can bet she didn't have the idea for the flower. She has even said so on her website that she is not actually solely responsible for the covers. Which I'm thinking is a good thing.
Beginning part is the copyright page (written in 2006, and owned by publisher and Meyer) and then there is a table of contents. Why the hell the dedication page and the beginning quote page is included in the table of contents, I do not know, but whatever. Just know that this is kind of stupid.
Anyway, dedication to her dad that is pretty sweet, and then the book starts.
The opening quote this time is from Romeo and Juliet. Um...okay. I really hope that Meyer is not trying to say that Edward and Bella are Romeo and Juliet because please, they so aren't. I also don't have a clue what this will have to do with the book (I'm still trying to figure out what the point of a quote from Genisis had to do with Twilight) but maybe it will turn out to be profound. Who knows?

Preface:
I've come to a conclusion after looking up what preface means on my new dictionary on Kindle (which is really pretty nifty, have I mentioned I love this thing?): Meyer doesn't know what a preface is. Here is the definition of preface:
An introduction to a book, typically stating its subject, scope, or aims.
Now, that said, all the preface really is, is Bella walking through a big crowd and the clock striking omniously in the background. Yeah. She wasted a page on that. This is not a preface, it is a prologue. Especially since she has an epilogue in this book. In order for there to be an epilogue, you should have a prologue. That's writing 101. I can't believe her publisher didn't tell her this and say change those prefaces to prologues because they are not prefaces. Oh wait, I keep forgetting, Meyer doesn't like having her work edited like all those other writers have too. Even though it really really needs it.
Okay, I'm done ranting about this subject. But honestly, that sentence is really all that happens here. Bella walks through a crowd as some clock strikes the hour. Of course, since it's Meyer, it's made out to be all overdramatic with flowery words:
I fought my way through the callous crowd, but the hands on the huge clock
tower didn't slow. With relentless, uncaring force, they turned inexorably
toward the end-the end of everything.
From New Moon, Preface

Wow. I see Meyer still hasn't learned the lesson of overdoing the theosaurus words, so still more words to put on my word list. Bella is also still playing martyr, but like the last book, it'll probably just be her being stupid and emo again. But basically this happens: Bella walks through a crowd, the clock strikes and she's lost something and therefore has no desire to live anymore. Again. Ten bucks says that precious something she's supposedly lost is Edward. Sigh. I am going to try and keep an open mind. Honest. But seriously, I see no improvement here. In fact, this pretty much reminds me of the situation in Twilight. Well, who knows, maybe this time it'll actually be dangerous and not solved so easily. Maybe.

WORD LIST: inexorably
POSSIBLE GRAMMATICAL ERRORS: None that I can see right off, but quite a few run-on sentences that should have been shortened or not needed at all. Ex: But this was no dream, and, unlike the nightmare, I wasn't running for my life; I was racing to save something infinitely more precious.
GENERAL ANNOYANCES: The clock tolled again, and the sun beat down from the exact center point of the sky.
How the heck does she know that's the center point of the sky? I mean, really?

No comments:

Post a Comment