Friday, January 1, 2010

TWILIGHT: Chapter 23-The Angel

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Fuzzy chapter that was not needed, could have been cut into about one page and could have been added onto the next chapter. Because here's what happens: Edward and company arrive, Edward sucks Bella's blood, the end. Four seperate pages, Meyer wastes on this and it's not even really important or dangerous because he manages to resist her. Yeah. I'm not even sure why I'm wasting a blog post on these four pages. I'll probably just do the next chapter for the hell of it today.

NOTES/THOUGHTS/REACTIONS:
So in the overdramatic tone that is on par for this series, Bella is drifting...but she's apparently also drowning...but she also is able to completely tell what's going on so it's not really fuzzy at all...just...I don't know. Even Meyer doesn't seem to know what she's trying to say here. I will say this, though, This:
And then I knew I was dead.
From Twilight, page 452

Yeah, that is dumb. You can't know you're dead, because um...you're DEAD. You cease to exist, you have no soul or something happens to you depending on whatever you believe and there is no way to know you are dead. That we know of. But since dying people can't come back and tell us for sure if they know they are dead or not, who knows, maybe Meyer is correct about this. But I really doubt she is and therefore this whole sentence (made into a paragraph, by the way) is dumb and makes no sense and really not even needed.
But wait for it, the whole reason Bella thinks she's dead? She hears a heavenly voice. I'll give you three guesses who that voice is. Come on, it's not that hard. Who has she been obsessed with throughout the whole book? Yup. She thinks she is in heaven because she sees Edward arrive and calls him an angel throughout the first two pages (meaning first half) of this chapter. Yeesh. Meyer really can't resist reminding us that this guy is perfect, can she? The likeness to the Adonis statues aren't enough, we have to compare him to heavenly beings now. I'm pretty sure God would take issue with this guy being an angel, but I'm probably the only one who is a little miffed on his behalf about that. Side note, I'm not even all that super religious and I'm kind of raising an eyebrow at this. So why exactly are religious Christians championing this book, exactly? Doesn't seem very Christian to me. If any religious Twihards care to speculate and correct me, please feel free; I'm not exactly an expert on the religious thinking of things so I'm not going to try. Though, I'm betting the abstanance from sex has a big part in it.
Anyway, Edward is of course, super angry that Bella...broke her leg and got bit. Um...okay. Nothing too serious, it's not even really fatal. Oh wait, that bite on her hand apparently is killing her. Um...I thought Alice said their venom only incapacitated people? So is Jame's venom different or something? Or is Meyer once again, forgetting her own facts? I'm betting she's forgetting her own facts because she realized that it was kind of stupid for the heroine to just get a broken leg and a few ribs cracked.
But anyway, Carlisle and Alice tell Edward to get the venom out, he he does so, again; not sure how he does this WITHOUT FANGS. Also, you know all that junk about Edward being super dangerous? He manages himself pretty well for a guy who apparently has no control over his bloodlust. I guess that was forgotten in all of this too.
Anyway, long story short: Bella not hurt badly, Edward not dangerous around her blood, Bella falls asleep and I feel severely cheated that all that drama was just leading up to THIS. Some excitement...NOT.

WORD LIST: Tumult (possible wrong use).

BOOK THAT IS BETTER: The Twelve Kingdoms book series, by Fuyumi Ono
WHY IT IS BETTER: To any who have seen the anime of the same name, I don't need to explain. That anime is based on a series of light novels that is pretty awesome and currently being translated from Japanese to English, so we're sadly only up to book three. But each book is actually ten times more exciting then this crap. Which is kind of sad because half of it? Is about politics. Yes, politics have been managed to be more interesting then THIS. Sad, isn't it? Add that to the fact that there are memorable characters throughout the story and it's better written and I've personally never seen another series quite like it (even in anime, though parts of it are kind of like Rayearth by CLAMP (which I also reccomend and is ten times better then THIS))

No comments:

Post a Comment