Monday, April 12, 2010

NEW MOON: Chapter 24-Vote

CHAPTER SUMMARY: We basically get more stuff from the last chapter: Bella and Edward reaffirming their love for each other (because last chapter's gag worthy dialogue wasn't enough), reassurance that Bella will actually get what she wants, and then oh my gosh, Edward proposes!

NOTES/THOUGHTS/REACTIONS:
Man, I thought last chapter was bad enough. This one starts out where last one left off, Bella leaving for the Cullens. Intead of cutting to her arriving at the Cullens which a normal (and better author) would have done. Meyer has to waste more trees and have Edward and Bella talk about yet more stuff we already know. There is still more crap about Edward feeling guilty, Bella confesses that she was suicidal (but still insists that she actually wasn't) and for some damn reason didn't think Edward actually loved her and is surprised when he says he does. Or something. I don't know, I confess I skimmed over this part because I was sick of seeing the same damn conversation over and over again. Oh, and in between this there's vivid description of Edward jumping through the trees. To give you an example of the ridiculousness going on:
My heart inflated like it was going to crack right through my ribs. It filled my chest and blocked my throat so that I could not speak.
From New Moon, Chapter 24

Yeah. Never mind that if something was blocking her throat: she'd be choking and would probably die. How this is romantic is beyond me. Even Nicolas Sparks is rolling his eyes at Meyer right now.
We finally get to the Cullens and Bella says her fate is now up to the Cullens. Because you know, the Cullens are the only vampires in the world that she can hang out with. She can't go to that clan in Denali or whatever. Sorry, but this is the way Bella is making it seem. Edward lays out some lame reason for why they don't actually have to turn Bella and I'm sorry I don't get this option at all BECAUSE IT MAKES NO SENSE. Don't get me started on the more ridiculousness of Demetri's power. Remember how James was suposedly a remarkable tracker? Well, now Meyer's disputing that and saying no, there's another guy who was actually more awesome then him.Anyway, because she's a Mary Sue, all of them (sans Roselie, who I actually think did Bella a solid here) vote yes to turning Bella. Then they all argue about how to go about it and then Edward says lets wait and takes her home.
The two of them barter about when she gets turned, and then Bella says she wants Edward to be the one to turn her. He then says okay, but only if she marries him. For some reason, Bella has no problem giving up her soul for this guy but she has an issue with marrying him. What the hell? She's willing to spend eternity with him but doesn't want to walk down the isle with him? Please tell me how that makes sense. Don't try and give me crap about Renne and Charlie either please, Meyer. It was pretty clear that it wasn't marriage that was the problem in that relationship, it was Renee's immaturity. Also, while I do understand why Renee would have issues with getting married young, I find it hard to believe Bella would care because when has she ever listened or cared about what her mother thinks? Never. At least never in this book series.
So I'm sorry, this is crap. Meyer just wanted to make it look like no, she's not endorsing getting married young, because look Bella didn't agree with it at first! Of course, she mostly disagrees for superficial reasons, namely what will people think not actually the idea of marrying young so it falls flat. Also note, that Bella doesn't say anything about how this will interfere with college. She actually doesn't say a word about college. Further proof that school is actually not very important to this girl.
Well, Edward leaves her to think on it and then Charlie arrives and Bella is basically a brat. I'm sorry she is. She all but tells him how this is going to go and threatens consequences if he doesn't comply. Then she has the nerve to act like HE'S being the child here! UGH. Just...UGH. I'm not sure who I'm more mad at: Bella for being the ungrateful brat that she is. Charlie for letting her walk all over him (but in his defense, she doesn't give much choice because he might never see her again if he doesn't comply) or Meyer for writing this crap in the first place and making it okay for kids to treat their parents like this. Just...good lord.
If that isn't bad enough, Edward returns and doesn't even tell Bella to cut her Dad some slack, they kiss and act sappy, and horrible chapter ends with them kissing. One more part to go in this torture then it's on to Eclipse. I can't believe I've made it this far...

WORD LIST: a lot of misused words as usual but no big theosaurus ones
POSSIBLE EDITS: Bella and Edward's conversation is not neccessary, CUT IT.
GENERAL ANNOYANCES: Bella
he took me in his arms and sprang lithely from my window-...I don't think you can use the word lithely to describe jumping. It's a description word for people...not for actions...but I could be wrong but still...this one bugs me.
He nodded. "I'm worse than the Volturi," he said grimly.-I'm sure the Volturi would agree with me in saying: HA! Please. I think the Volturi are lame as super villians but at least they are actually evil like Edward tries to claim he is.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god, I am so with you here. She wants to be vampire with him for eternity but marriage is too big a committment?! What an idiot. I am sorry but there is no other word for it. This just proves how 'special' Bella is (and I dont' mean special in a good way). It proves just what a child she still is, and clearly isn't yet at an age capable ofmaking life changing decisions appropriately

    ReplyDelete